Wednesday 3 October 2012

Chili with Cinnamon


I got a great recipe for chili from my brother-in-law Clyde who is a fantastic cook. We had this chili on our family cabin weekend and I fell in love especially when you have some sweet fruit like pineapple or nectarines on the side. I don't know why, but sweet and spicy just taste so good together. Weird combination I know (fruit with chili), but don't knock it until you've tried it!

What I love about this recipe is that it just has a hint of spice (although Derek would beg to differ) and some cinnamon. I love the flavor of the cinnamon as it seems a little more "fallesque". It smelt so yummy cooking in the crock pot and even more delish to eat.

1 lb. ground beef
2 red peppers
2 jalapeno peppers (seeds and all)
3 medium onions
1 tbls garlic powder
2 tbls cumin
2 tbls oregano
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp cinnamon and allspice
1 tsp salt
2 tsp chili powder
1 can 28 oz crushed tomatoes
3 cups tomato juice

Note: You can adjust the heat by adding/subtracting the number of jalapeno peppers and cayenne pepper to the recipe.
  1. Brown ground beef 
  2. Chop onions and peppers
  3. Add all ingredients to crock pot
  4. Cook on low for 6-8 hours until onions are clear stirring approximately 1/hour
Let me know if you like it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a recipe that I'm going to have to try! Look delicious!
-Monica
Caravan of Style

The Fashion Philosophy said...

Sounds completely delish! We are for sure trying this recipe! Perfect for Fall!!

ox from NYC!
davie+erica

LPFashionPhilosophy